Search This Blog

Sunday 21 September 2014

Faces of the Moon

We had a “supermoon” a fortnight ago and I spent some time trying to get a decent picture of our nearest neighbour. I acquired a goofy little portable tripod after my first attempts. It’s still not quite good enough – I now know why you need a fairly beefy tripod with a solid mount – the vibration from the shutter alone is enough to cause a clear wobble when the camera is zoomed out beyond 200mm and the shutter speed is any way slow. Anyway I was happy enough with a few shots that show the progression over four days from nearly full, to full and then on as it progressed through two days past full. It’s striking how untextured it looks when full but the limb craters really jump out once they start to move into local dusk.

Moon

Moon

Moon

Moon

No comments: